A not-so-desperate housewife aspiring to excel in a newfound calling. This blog is about all things pertaining to marriage, parenting, cooking, crafting, cleaning, and the like. By no means am I good at any of these but I am learning! This is my journey and process at becoming the best I can be in the art of homemaking. Take a peek if you so please!

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemade Hummus

My sister Bri has recently been inspiring me to eat healthy. Between her influence and my own desire to shed this baby weight, we have become obsessed with the Sprouts down the street. Anyone who says that eating healthy is too expensive, I say BULL to that. I have never spent more than 20 bucks for a few bags of fresh and healthy meats and produce. Here's the key though: only buy on sale and try to use coupons. (I'm not obsessing over coupons anymore though...been there, done that.) Anyway, Sprouts is wonderful for buying things to make from scratch. LIKE HUMMUS! Store bought hummus can tend to have a lot of extras and preservatives, so I decided to make it from nothing! I even grew my own beans! No, just kidding.

Here is my version of fresh, delicious husband approved hummus. Adapted from here.

Ingredients:
Garbanzo Beans (I used about 1 pound)
2 Tsp. Cumin
1.5 Tsp. Garlic Salt
2-3 Fresh Sauteed Garlic Cloves
1 Tsp. Sea Salt
1.5 Tbs. Lemon Juice
3 Tbs. Olive Oil

The night before, wash and soak your beans in cold water and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, drain the water from the beans and fill a large stock pot up with fresh water. I did about 12 cups of water for my 1 pound of beans. Bring pot to a boil, then simmer beans for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain Beans.

In your food processor, process beans to your desired consistency. Once all the beans have been run through, add the cumin, sea salt, garlic salt, and fresh garlic. Run the processor again. Finally, add your lemon juice and olive oil and process real good one more time.

Wala! Homemade Hummus!

I also bought whole wheat pita bread at Sprouts, sliced it up, baked it, and served it along side the hummus to the hubs. He loved!
Hope you do too!



1 comment:

  1. Sun Dried TOmato and Basil Hummus was a great variation!! (just make it as shown and food-process some sun dried tomatoes (i found the ones in a light oil give the best color) and fresh basil. Up next:: Spicy hummus...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete